Mike Schreiner statement on crisis in LTC
January 14, 2022
TORONTO — Mike Schreiner made the following statement on the crisis in LTC homes:
“I’m calling on Doug Ford to take immediate action and address the crisis in LTC.
Over 50% of Ontario LTC facilities are in outbreak. Homes are understaffed, and residents are suffering.
It is unconscionable that the Ford government hasn’t learned from the tragic humanitarian crisis that unfolded in LTC homes last year. Enough is enough.
Ontario Greens are calling for:
- Bringing in the military to address immediate staffing shortages
- Immediate improvement of LTC staff working conditions and increase in pay, including recalling the legislature to repeal Bill 124
- Full acknowledgement that COVID-19 is airborne, and measures to mitigate against airborne spread, including:
- Regular distribution of N95 or equivalent masks to LTC staff and a requirement to wear them
- Ventilation improvements and HEPA filters
- Prioritizing care over profits and phasing out of for-profit care homes”