Work at the Green Party of Ontario
GPO Press Secretary
Position: Press Secretary
Organization: Green Party of Ontario
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Start Date: Immediate
Position Type: Contract, Full time until June 15, 2018
Join our small, passionate team of staff looking to elect Ontario’s first Green MPP in the upcoming June 2018 election. This position is for a friendly, hard-working, detail-oriented person who can handle multiple tasks in a high-pressure environment. You will be responsible for supporting both our Director of Communications and Campaign Manager. Hours of work will vary and will include long hours, evenings & weekends.
Duties & Responsibilities:
As the Green Party of Ontario (GPO) Press Secretary you will work with the news media on print and broadcast stories, answer questions from reporters and write press releases for media consideration. You may also draft speeches and letters, maintain relationships with media individuals and organizations, and travel with the Leader or candidates representing GPO at public events.
- Produce clear and concise news releases and advisories on a timely basis
- Push out written materials via email and call for follow up
- Organize advance media for the GPO election campaign with local and provincial media
- Respond to inquiries from reporters and all media outlets in a timely manner
- Accompany the Leader to events when required
- Provide content for the GPO Social media assets
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Communications
The Press Secretary will report to the Director of Communications, and work closely with a small communications team.
- Thorough understanding of and ability to navigate all media and social media platforms.
- Experience with media outreach calls or equivalent
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Passion & commitment to social and environmental change in Ontario
- Team player with the ability to establish effective professional relationships
- Proficient in working with various online technologies such as Google docs, Slack, CRM database, wordpress, etc.
- Hard working, willing to go above and beyond to get the job done
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects at one time under pressure
- Good understanding of the political system in Ontario
- Flexibility — we are a small organization and staff members take on various roles outside of our typical job descriptions
- Did we mention excellent writing and communication skills.
Send your resume & cover letter as one file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls or visits.