QUEEN’S PARK — Green Party of Ontario Leader and Guelph MPP Mike Schreiner issued the following statement after Premier Ford made yet another campaign-style announcement today:
“This is getting ridiculous. We are 14 days away from the start of the school year and the Premier is making daily campaign-style announcements with every Minister but the one who could update us on the facts about the virus, his Health Minister.
While there is no question that more funding for victims of human trafficking is a positive announcement, Ontarians are still struggling with a public health and economic crisis.
People want answers, but the Premier seems to be more focused on the next election than the job at hand.
The questions Ontario really cares about right now are:
- With only two weeks left to go, will our schools be safe to open?
- Why did the Premier open bars before he opened schools?
- What are health experts saying as we creep up over a hundred cases a day?
- Why are lower-income Ontarians suffering from the pandemic at twice the rate as affluent ones?
- When will the Premier stop wagging his finger at landlords and fix the broken rent relief program to help small businesses?
As the elected Premier of this province, Doug Ford needs to save his campaigning for 2022 and take immediate action to address the concerns facing our province right now.”