I was pleased to welcome children with autism, their parents, service providers, teachers and advocates to my office today, as part of province wide rallies. I support their call for the Ford government to fix its deeply flawed autism plan.
I urge Minister Macleod to engage in meaningful consultations with parents, service providers, experts, educators and advocates to develop an autism program that puts children first.
An effective autism strategy must include the following principles:
- Funding based on a child’s need;
- Funding that does not discriminate based on age or income;
- Funding for service providers and organizations to ensure services are available for families;
- Funding for the education sector to provide supports for autistic children attending school.
- Supports for adults with autism and developmental disabilities.