Mental Health Is Health
Decades of neglect from successive governments has led to long wait times and inadequate funding and support. Mental health touches all of our lives and proper care should be available for everyone.
Ontario Greens have a plan to make mental health care more Affordable, Accessible and Comprehensive, so that anyone in this province can get the care that they need.
Add your name today to support mental health care for all
Everyone needs and deserves a mental health care system that is affordable, accessible, comprehensive, and easy to navigate. That is what our plan delivers. Help us make this a reality.
Thank you for your support!
Can you chip in $3 to help us put 'Building a more caring Ontario' on the government's agenda? Every bit helps. If you can't right now, please consider sharing instead?
Not being able to afford mental health care should never be the reason why someone doesn’t get the help they need.
Snapshot: More Affordable Care:
- Expand access to mental health and addiction care under OHIP
- Expand mental health care options for people on the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)
- Increasing mental health spending from 7% to 10% of our provincial health budget
Accessing mental health care should be free of stigma and available to all - especially during the times it’s needed most.
Snapshot: More Accessible Care:
- Implementing a comprehensive wait time reduction strategy
- Investing in youth mental health care hubs & services
- Supporting Indigenous-led health care clinics & improving supports in other languages
True comprehensive mental health care starts with prevention and continues for as long as it’s needed.
Snapshot: More Comprehensive Care:
- Complex care: Defining province-wide standards of care for people with complex needs
- Prevention: Invest in programs to improve wellness, ease stress, and reduce negative mental health outcomes
- Addictions: build 60,000 supportive housing spaces with wrap-around services and dedicate 10% of the units to people with complex care needs
Let’s Make Mental Health Care Available for All
Mental Health looks different for everyone, which is why Ontario Greens have a plan to meet the challenge of providing accessible, and culturally appropriate health care to all Ontarians. Where mental health care is destigmatized, meets people where they live, starts with a focus on prevention, and expands support for addictions and community services.
Ten priorities to improve mental health care in Ontario:
- Expand access to mental health and addiction care under OHIP.
- Increase mental health and addiction spending to 10% of our health budget.
- Develop a 3 digit dedicated crisis response line and health-focused crisis response teams to respond to mental health and substance related calls.
- Reduce waitlists to 30 days or less for children's mental health services.
- Support Indigenous-led clinics and healing programs for mental health.
- Create a dedicated Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions.
- Decriminalize drug use, expand safe consumption sites, and shift funding from the justice system to healthcare.
- Build 60,000 permanent supportive housing spaces with wrap-around mental health and other supports.
- Enhance mental well-being with connected communities and expanded access to nature trails, parks and protected greenspace.
- Invest in more Youth Wellness Hubs and community centres that offer access to local mental health services, spaces for social interaction, and supports for families.