As the GPO Press Secretary your primary role will be to work closely with the Director of Communications to pitch news ideas, answer questions from reporters and write press releases for media consideration.
You will also be tasked with writing speeches, statements, action email campaigns for the GPO membership, copy for other strategic communications to support development and fundraising.
You will need to maintain relationships with media individuals and organizations, travel with the Leader or candidates representing GPO at public events and produce content for various mediums.
Travel within Ontario is necessary from time to time. Hours of work will include evenings & weekends. Flexibility is required.
Work with News and Media
- Produce clear and concise news releases and advisories on a timely basis
- Push out written materials via email and call for follow up
- Organize advance media for the GPO election campaign with local and provincial media
- Respond to inquiries from reporters and all media outlets in a timely manner
- Plan press conferences from time to time
- Maintain relationships with media individuals and organizations
Support the Leader and GPO Communications
- Work with the Director of Communications to execute
- Ensure cohesive message is delivered across platforms and communications objectives are met
- Accompany the Leader or candidates representing GPO to events from time to time as required
- Assist with drafting speeches and letters from time to time
Materials Production and Advertising
- Write content for website, email action campaigns, social ads, speeches, statements and identify graphic requirements and overseeing production of video content
- 3+ years experience in a communications, public relations or preferably press secretary role
- Bachelor's degree or College Diploma in journalism, public relations, politics, or related field
- Superior time management and organizational skills and ability to meet tight deadlines
- An analytical mind and ability to think critically with strong political acuity
- Exceptional writing and interpersonal communication skills with strong command of copy editing, proofreading, and journalistic ability
- Proficiency in French strongly preferred
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office and Google docs and capable of creating visually compelling presentations
- Knowledge of email marketing software, Creative Suite, Canva and social media platform software programs an asset
- Proven knowledge of communications and marketing ethics and best practices
- Proficient using multi-social posting programs such as Sprout Social and Hootsuite
- General knowledge of Search Engine Optimization
- Knowledge of and experience working with Ontario media
- Good media relations and established media contacts an asset
- Proven experience writing Op-Eds, speeches, statements, press releases
- Proficient in strategic communications
- Experience with political election campaigns
- Toronto area residents preferred
How to apply?
Send your resume & cover letter as one file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 13, 2020 at 5pm ET.
Please no phone calls or visits.
The GPO is an equal opportunity employer.
We promote diversity of thought, culture and background and encourage all to apply.
Accommodation will be provided during the hiring process and in the position as needed.