Toronto, ON – Today, the Green Party of Ontario launched a campaign to dispel the myth started by Kermit the Frog, that it’s not easy being Green.
“We wanted to take this opportunity to let folks in Ontario know that it actually is easy to be Green,” said Rebecca Harrison, Director of Communications. “We know Kermit the Frog started quite the rumour, but we know that our team continues to grow as our message reaches more and more people across Ontario.”
The Green Party compiled a list of top 10 reasons why it’s easy being Green, and has started a online campaign to promote the reasons that it is easy being green. Ontarians can contribute their own reasons at www.gpo.ca/easy-to-be-green or on Facebook www.facebook.com/GreenPartyOntario
The Green Party of Ontario’s membership has more than doubled this year, and the party is running a full slate of 107 candidates in this election.
Top 10 reasons why it’s easy being Green
- We get to answer questions about Kermit the Frog at least once every four years. (More often with a minority government!)
- There is one party that knows how important healthy local food is for our families and communities.
- Ontarians are already going green. Whether it’s recycling, buying local food or switching off lights, people in Ontario are already choosing sustainable options. It’s time for Queen’s Park to catch up.
- Only the Green Party has a plan to reduce taxes on the things we want – income and jobs, and put a price on the things we don’t want – waste, pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Birkenstocks are comfortable. Come on – you know they are!
- The old parties have energy plans that reward energy hogs. The Green Party has a plan that saves you money by saving energy.
- Only one party is calling for an end to corporate and union political donations. Corporations and unions don’t vote – people do.
- Everyone likes the underdog! We have to work hard to earn your trust and your vote, which is why our sleeves are rolled up and we’re knocking on doors in communities across Ontario.
- The words “Local Food”, “Mega-Quarry” and “Climate Change” didn’t cross the lips of the old party Leaders in the televised debate once. You know that debate, the one with no clear winner? (Or new ideas?)
- Because even one Green MPP can make a difference at Queen’s Park. Look at Elizabeth May, Canada’s first Green MP now sitting in the House of Commons, the first Green MPs in Australia and Great Britain, and the first Green State Government in Germany.
Director of Communications
Green Party of Ontario
(905) 999 – 5479