Location: Queen’s Park
Salary: $63,000 – 68,000 per annum
Deadline to apply: Jan. 8, 2024 at 5pm EDT
We are looking for a highly organized, detail-oriented, self-starter to help MPP Aislinn Clancy carry out her legislative responsibilities. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about learning about legislative procedure and public policy, and able to work effectively as part of a small team in a fast paced environment.
- Attend meetings with Member as needed
- Manage house debate schedule for all caucus MPPs
- Liaise with other Independent MPPs and their Legislative Assistants to coordinate schedule for Question Period and Member Statements
- Monitor legislature daily and provide caucus members with real-time updates on procedural developments, including schedule, votes, amendments, and debates
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders to help support work, including House Leader’s Offices’, Library Staff, Committee members, interest groups to support legislative work
- Ensure Members are in the chamber for their speaking slots, votes and other legislative obligations
Research and legislative projects
- Review legislation that has been tabled in the House and prepare briefings
- Support Members in preparing debate remarks, questions, member’s statements and other speeches
- Work with legislative drafters on private member’s motions and bills
- Complete all committee work required by the Member, including working with legislative drafters on amendments
- Provide and coordinate research support to Members, providing background information for votes, speeches and other work
- Work with advocates and constituents on drafting and approving petitions
- Work on special projects as needed by Members such as submissions to provincial agencies and outreach to government officials
- Other duties as required
- Relevant post-secondary degree, or equivalent training, education & experience
- Ability to be flexible and accommodate long working hours during the legislative session, including evenings
- Experience conducting policy research
- Strong organizational abilities and attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment where tasks change on short notice
- Ability to work collaboratively in a small team environment
- French or other languages
- Political Office or other administrative experience
- Proficiency in government relations and legislative procedure
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 8, 2024 at 5pm EDT.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We promote diversity of thought, culture and background and encourage all to apply. Accommodation will be provided during the hiring process and in the position as needed.
Thank you for your interest in the position. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.