As the GPO Press Secretary your primary role will be to work closely with the Director of Communications to pitch news ideas, answer questions from reporters and write press releases for media consideration. You will also be tasked with writing speeches, statements, copy for other strategic communications to support development and fundraising. You will need to maintain relationships with media individuals and organizations, travel with the Leader or spokespeople representing GPO at public events and produce content for various mediums. Travel within Ontario is necessary from time to time. Hours of work will include evenings & weekends. Flexibility is required.
- Work with News and Media
- Produce clear and concise news releases and advisories on a timely basis
- Find opportunities and execute plans that will expand GPO’s reach in the media
- Push out written materials via email and call for follow up
- Respond to inquiries from reporters and all media outlets in a timely manner
- Plan press conferences
- Maintain relationships with media individuals and organizations
- Organize advance media for the GPO events and tours with local and provincial media
- Support the Leader and GPO Communications
- Contribute to team strategic planning and execution
- Ensure cohesive message is delivered across platforms and communications objectives are met
- Participate in regular team meetings
- Accompany the Leader or spokespeople representing GPO to events from time to time as required
- Assist with drafting speeches and letters from time to time
- Materials Production and Advertising
- Support content development in other areas such as copy-writing for action campaigns, speeches, statements and social media from time to time.
- 1+ years experience in a communications, public relations or preferably press secretary role
- Bachelor's degree or College Diploma in journalism, public relations, politics, or related field, or equivalent experience
- Proven experience writing Op-Eds, speeches, statements, press releases
- Knowledge of and experience working with Ontario media, good media relations and established media contacts an asset
- Superior time management and organizational skills and ability to meet tight deadlines
- An analytical mind and ability to think critically with strong political acuity
- Exceptional writing and interpersonal communication skills with strong command of copy editing, proofreading, and journalistic ability
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office and Google docs
- Knowledge of email marketing software, Creative Suite, Canva and social media platform software programs an asset
- Experience using multi-social posting programs such as Sprout Social and Hootsuite
- Proven knowledge of communications and marketing ethics and best practices
- Experience with political election campaigns an asset
- Residence in the GTA required
Send your resume & cover letter as one file to email@example.com no later than August 5, 2022 at 5pm ET. Please no phone calls or visits.
The GPO is an equal opportunity employer. We promote diversity of thought, culture and background and encourage all to apply. Accommodation will be provided during the hiring process and in the position as needed.
Please note: All Green Party of Ontario employees are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. The GPO may exempt staff who are unable to receive the vaccine due to medical or disability-related reasons. To qualify for such an exemption, a staff member must provide must provide a written document, supplied by a physician (MD) or by a registered nurse extended class [RN(EC)] or nurse practitioner (NP) stating they are exempt for a medical reason from being fully vaccinated and how long this would apply.